A foster parent saves lives!
Becoming a Foster Parent for Tenth Life is one of the most direct, most rewarding, and possibly, most difficult ways you can help the organization and the many needy kitties we serve. Despite the occasional challenge with a very sick cat or very young kittens, most fostering experiences involve simply provide nourishment, housing, and affection to a needy and deserving feline. Please read on to learn more about some of the requirements involved in fostering for Tenth Life.
ALL PROSPECTIVE TENTH LIFE FOSTER PARENTS MUST:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Reside within the state of Missouri, within approx. 35 miles of one of our partner veterinarians and/or adoption center.
- Have the written approval of all persons residing within the home.
- Complete, sign and return the Tenth Life Foster Application and Contract and Volunteer Waiver.
- Complete a phone interview with a member of our Foster Team.
- Host a home visit from one of our Foster Coordinators, including all members of the household.
TENTH LIFE FOSTER PARENTS ARE EXPECTED TO
- Provide a safe and loving INDOOR ONLY home for the cat(s) until they are adopted, not allowing them to mingle with outdoor or indoor/outdoor cats to protect them from parasites and contagious illnesses such as Feline Luekemia.
- Take foster cat(s) to all veterinary appointments in a timely fashion. Tenth Life pays veterinary bills.
- Supply fresh litter, food, water, and grooming. We do provide supplies when they are available or medically necessary as prescribed by one of our partner veterinarians.
- Give your foster cat daily affection, play time, and attention.
- Ensure that your cat attends adoption events regularly, as offered, for exposure to potential adopters.
- Move healthy, cat-friendly cats to our adoption center for exposure to potential adopters and to free up space for new arrivals in your foster home, as desired.
- Please note that if you have resident pets, we require that you provide an isolation space for your foster cat(s) and flea treat all pets using ONLY safe Tenth Life approved flea treatments (i.e., Frontline, Revolution). Please read the foster contract in full for more details.
- Additional requirements found in the foster manual upon acceptance of role of foster parent.
NEONATAL FOSTER REQUIREMENTS
Please note that if you are interested in fostering neonates (bottle-fed kittens), additional training is required. Please apply, indicating your desire to help neonates, and we will set you up with the appropriate training as soon as possible once approved.
QUESTIONS? Please email us. You can also call 314-808-2454 and leave a message for the foster team.