Lost Cat Tips
It's incredibly upsetting when your beloved kitty gets outside. Read below for our best tips on getting your wayward feline back home as soon as possible!
* The most important thing is to start the search IMMEDIATELY.
* Keep in mind that cats tend to stay close to home, and are typically found less than a mile away.
* Place your cat's litter box outside of your home. The scent will help guide him back. You can also create a trail of sorts using the cat's soiled litter. Start at your house and spiral outwards, leaving a trail of used litter to create a path to lead him home again.
* Set food and water out for your cat, near the house's door.
* Tell all of your neighbors. Ideally, print flyers with a clear color photo of your cat, the words "LOST CAT," and identifying information. Provide several phone numbers to contact in case of sightings.
* Repost flyers every few days, on different colored paper, so that neighbors don't ignore the signs.
* Contact your local animal controls, humane societies, shelters, and rescues, providing them with clear and current color photos of your cat, a detailed description, microchip information (if applicable), and your contact information. Check back with these facilities every few days, as many hold strays for 3-5 days before placing them for adoption or euthanizing.
* Walk around at all times of the day and night, calling her name, rattling favorite toys or treats, and calling her name.
* If the kitty was shy, you may need to set humane traps. For more information on using traps, please contact us.
* Don't give up hope!
Keep in mind that most cats, when they get out of their home and familiar territory, become terribly frightened. More likely than not, your cat has found a safe place to hide and will stay there until the world quiets down. Many outdoor cats are most active in the middle of the night because the fewest people are out and about.
Most of all, do not give up! Cats can return home within hours, or months. They WANT to come home, so don't lose hope.
How can you prevent your kitty from getting lost? Check out our tips here.